Publications & Videos
Natural History of Ecological Restoration: A natural history notebook and joint project of the Missouri Botanical Garden, the Ecological Health Network, and the Restoration Ecology Lab at Virginia Tech
Publications by EHN leadership, members, and allies
- Robinson, J. M.; Aronson, J.; Daniels, C. B.; Goodwin, N.; Liddicoat, C.; Orlando, L.; Phillips, D.; Stanhope, J.; Weinstein, P.; Cross, A. T.; Breed, M. F. Ecosystem Restoration Is Integral to Humanity's Recovery from Covid-19. The Lancet Planetary Health 2022, 6 (9).
- Orlando LF, DePinto AJ, Wallace KJ. Ecohealth Villages: A Framework for an Ecosystem Approach to Health in Human Settlements. Sustainability. 2022; 14(12):7053.
- Albrecht, M.A., Dell, N.D., Engelhardt, M.J., Reid, J.L., Saxton, M.L., Trager, J.C., Waldman, C. and Long, Q.G. (2022), Recovery of herb-layer vegetation and soil properties after pile burning in a Midwestern oak woodland. Restor Ecol, 30: e13547. https://doi.org/10.1111/rec.13547
- James Aronson, Neva Goodwin, Adam Cross, and Laura Orlando, "Focus on Ecosystem Health," contribution to GTI Forum "Conservation at the Crossroads," Great Transition Initiative (May 2022)
- Bradley, H. S., M. D. Craig, A. T. Cross, S. Tomlinson, M. J. Bamford, and P. W. Bateman.. "Revealing microhabitat requirements of an endangered specialist lizard with LiDAR." Scientific Reports 12 (1). Inpress.
- Krueger, T., A. T. Cross, J. Hübner, J. Morinière, A. Hausmann, and A. Fleischmann.. "A novel approach for reliable qualitative and quantitative prey spectra identification of carnivorous plants combining DNA metabarcoding and macro photography." Scientific Reports 12 (1). Inpress.
- Turner, S. R., A. T. Cross, M. Just, V. Newton, S. Pedrini, S. Tomlinson, and K. Dixon. 2022. "Restoration seedbanks for mined land restoration." Restoration Ecology
- Rajapakshe, R., A. Cross, S. Turner, and S. Tomlinson. 2022. "Understanding the interplay of temperature and moisture on the germination niche to improve management of threatened species impacted by mining." Restoration Ecology
- Goodwin, N., & Sekera, J. (2021, November 23). Why the oil industry’s pivot to carbon capture and storage – while it keeps on drilling – isn’t a climate change solution. The Conversation.
- Farrell, C.A., Aronson, J., Daily, G.C., Hein, L., Obst, C., Woodworth, P. & Stout, J.C. 2021. Natural Capital Approaches: shifting the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration from aspiration to reality. Restoration Ecology. https://doi.org/10.1111/rec.13613\
- Cross SL, Bradley HS, Tudor EP, Craig MD, Tomlinson S, Bamford MJ, Bateman PW, Cross AT. 2021. A life of mine approach to fauna monitoring is critical for recovering functional ecosystems to restored landscapes. Restoration Ecology doi: 10.1111/rec.13540
- Cross AT. 2021. Nutrient-acquisition strategy influences seed nutrient concentration and seed-to-seedling transition in ecological restoration in a regional dryland flora. Plant and Soil. https://doi.org/10.1007/
- FAO, IUCN CEM & SER. 2021. Principles for Ecosystem Restoration to Guide the United Nations Decade 2021–2030. Rome, FAO. (EHN co-founder James Aronson is a lead author on this publication.)
- Moat, J., Orellana-Garcia, A., Tovar, C., Arakaki, M., Arana, C., Cano, A., … Whaley, O. Q. (2021). Seeing through the clouds – Mapping desert fog oasis ecosystems using 20 years of MODIS imagery over Peru and Chile. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 103, 102468. https://doi:10.1016/j.jag.2021.102468
- Bradby, K., Wallace, K.J., Cross, A.T., Flies, E.J., Witehira, C., Keesing, A., Dudley, T., Breed, M.F., Howling, G., Weinstein, P., Aronson, J. 2021. Four Islands EcoHealth Network: An Australasian initiative building synergies between the restoration of ecosystems and human health. Restoration Ecology, p.e13382.
- Cross, S.L., Cross, A.T., Tomlinson, S., Clark-Ioannou, S.M., Nevill, P.G. and Bateman, P.W., (2021). Mitigation and management plans should consider all anthropogenic disturbances to fauna. Global Ecology and Conservation, p.e01500.
- Suzanne J. Milton & W. Richard J. Dean 2021. Anthropogenic impacts and implications for ecological restoration in the Karoo, South Africa. Anthropocene 36: 100307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
ancene.2021.100307. Drs. Milton and Dean are EHN colleagues and manage the Wolwekraal Nature Reserve, an EHN site, in South Africa.
- Cross, A.T., Zhong, H. and Lambers, H. 2021. Incorporating rock in surface covers improves the establishment of native pioneer vegetation on alkaline mine tailings. Science of The Total Environment, p.145373.
- Cross A.T., Lambers H. 2021. Calcicole-calcifuge plant strategies limit restoration potential in a regional semi-arid flora. Ecology and Evolution. DOI: 10.1002/ece3.7544
- Valliere JM, Ruscalleda Alvarez J, Cross AT, Lewandrowski W, Riviera F, Stevens JC, Tomlinson S, Wong WS, Yong JWH, Veneklaas EJ. 2021. Restoration ecophysiology: An ecophysiological approach to improve strategies and outcomes for restoration of severely disturbed landscapes. Restoration Ecology. https://doi.org/10.1111/rec.13571
- Bradley, H.S., Tomlinson, S., Craig, M.D., Cross, A.T. and Bateman, P.W. (2020) Mitigation translocation as a management tool. Conservation Biology. https://doi.org/10.1111/cobi.13667
- Hall, M.M., Wehi, P.M., Whaanga, H., Walker, E.T., Koia, J.H. and Wallace, K.J. (2020) Promoting social and environmental justice to support Indigenous partnerships in urban ecosystem restoration. Restoration Ecology, e13305. https://doi.org/10.1111/rec.13305
- Flies, E.J., Jones, P., Buettel, J.C. and Brook, B.W. (2020) Compromised Ecosystem Services From Urban Aerial Microbiomes: A Review of Impacts on Human Immune Function. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, 8:1–8.
- Nabhan, G.P., Orlando, L., Smith Monti, L. and Aronson, J. (2020) Hands-On Ecological Restoration as a Nature-Based Health Intervention: Reciprocal Restoration for People and Ecosystems. Ecopsychology, 12: 195–202.
- Cross, A.T., Wallace, K.J. and Aronson, J. (2020) Healthy Societies built from Healthy Ecosystems: How Australia and Aotearoa New Zealand are Working at the Intersection of Human Health and Ecological Restoration for a Healthier World. Natural History of Ecological Restoration, July.
- Cross, A.T., Krueger, T.A., Gonella, P.M., Robinson, A.S. and Fleischmann, A.S. (2020) Conservation of carnivorous plants in the age of extinction, Global Ecology and Conservation, 24: e01272. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gecco.2020.e01272.
- Breed, M.F., Cross, A.T., Wallace, K.J., Bradby, K., Flies, E., Goodwin, N., Kendal, D., Orlando, L., Skelly, C., Weinstein, P. and Aronson, J. (2020) Ecosystem Restoration: A Public Health Intervention, EcoHealth. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10393-020-01480-1
- Aronson, J., Goodwin, N., Orlando, L., Eisenberg, C. and Cross, A.T. (2020) A World of Possibilities: Six Restoration Strategies to support the United Nation's Decade on Ecosystem Restoration, Restoration Ecology, 28:730–736. https://doi.org/10.1111/rec.13170
- Mills, J.G., Bissett, A., Gellie, N.J.C., Lowe, A.J., Selway, C.A., Thomas, T., Weinstein, P., Weyrich, L.S. and Breed, M.F. (2020) Revegetation of urban green space rewilds soil microbiotas with implications for human health and urban design. Restoration Ecology, 28:S322–S334. https://doi.org/10.1111/rec.13175
- Blignaut, J. and Aronson, J. (2020) Developing a restoration narrative: A pathway towards system-wide healing and a restorative culture, Ecological Economics, 168:106483.
- Cross, A.T., Nevill, P., Dixon, K.W. and Aronson, J. (2019) Time for a paradigm shift toward a restorative culture, Restoration Ecology, 27:924–928 https://doi.org/10.1111/rec.12984
- Goodwin, N. (2019) Addressing meta-externalities: investments in restoring the Earth, Real-World Economics Review, 87:36–53.
- Eisenberg, C., Anderson, C.L., Collingwood, A., Sissons, R., Dunn, C.J., Meigs, G.W., Hibbs, D.E., Murphy, S., Kuiper, S.D., SpearChief-Morris, J., Little Bear, L., Johnston, B. and Edson, C.B. (2019) Out of the Ashes: Ecological Resilience to Extreme Wildfire, Prescribed Burns, and Indigenous Burning in Ecosystems. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, 7:436. doi: 10.3389/fevo.2019.00436
- Gann, G.D., McDonald, T., Walder, B., Aronson, J., Nelson, C.R., Jonson, J., Hallett, J.G., Eisenberg, C., Guariguata, M.R., Liu, J. and Hua, F. (2019) International Principles & Standards for the Practice of Ecological Restoration, 2nd Edition, International principles and standards for the practice of ecological restoration. Restoration Ecology, 27:S1–S46.
- Apfelbaum, S.I. (2019) “S” is for Soil! Lower Sugar River Watershed Association, June.
- Goodwin, N. (2018) Ecological Repair: A Hope for the Human Economies, Opinion Sur, August.
- Aronson, J., Blatt, C.M. and Aronson, T. (2016) Restoring ecosystem health to improve human health and well-being: physicians and restoration ecologists unite in a common cause, Ecology and Society, 21:39. doi.org/10.5751/ES-08974-210439
- Woodworth, P. (2015) Our Once and Future Planet: Restoring the World in the Climate Change Century, University of Chicago Press.
- The Society for Ecological Restoration International Primer on Ecological Restoration, SER International Science & Policy Working Group